The rich soil, clean air, and clear waters of Kinosaki produce delicious seasonal vegetables. Many locally owned and run restaurants and ryokan take pride in using locally-grown vegetables in their menus due to the vegetables’ quality and credibility. You will be served an array of vegetables unique to the current season and to Japan.
In addition to vegetables, one should also take note of locally-grown rice. Stork Natural Rice is one type which is produced by a special farming method to help support living organisms in the rice paddies. This natural way of growing the rice depends on the use of natural pesticides and fertilizers. Harmful chemicals are not used in order to protect local wildlife, especially the Oriental White Stork for which the rice is named.
STAY AT A VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY RYOKAN
You can often find staying in a ryokan listed as one of the top things to do when visiting Japan. Part of the experience of staying in a ryokan is Kaiseki Ryori, a traditional ryokan meal that is normally included with your stay. These elaborate meals are a major part of Japanese culture and are definitely something that should be experienced. However, for many vegetarians, ordering a kaiseki meal with their stay can be daunting because they almost always come with some sort of seasonal fish or meat. But not to worry--the ryokan in Kinosaki listed below either have special vegetarian style meals or can make adjustments to some of their meal plans to make them vegetarian friendly.
- MikuniyaDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
- KobayashiyaDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
- Nishimuraya HonkanDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
- Nishimuraya Hotel ShogetsuteiDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
- Kawaguchiya Kinosaki Riverside HotelDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
- Oyado SeriDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
- Sennen no Yu GonzaemonDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
- MorizuyaDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
- Sennen no Yu KomanDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
- MikiyaDETAILS & RESERVATIONS
Restaurants with vegetarian options
For those either opting not to get a ryokan with a meal, just visiting Kinosaki on a day trip or needing to find a place for lunch; here is a list of some vegetarian friendly restaurants in Kinosaki.
- CreezanCREEZAN is a unique cafe and boutique fusion shop along the willow-lined canal in Kinosaki. Fresh local ingredients make up the shop's original menu. Savor any one of their dishes while enjoying the view from the second floor cafe space that overlooks the willow-lined Otani River.
- 10:00 ~ 23:00 (L.O. 22:30)
- Irregular Holidays
- OFF. KinosakiA small shop hidden in the back of town along the river and Kiyamachi Street. The store’s space and atmosphere create a place for you to come and take some time OFF to enjoy food, wine, coffee, and life. Local ingredients fill the menu and there is a wide selection of natural wines.
- (Tuesday to Saturday)Lunch 11:00~16:00 / Dinner 18:00~22:00
- Tajima Beef Irori Dining MikuniA quiet restaurant located above street level along the main street that runs out past Kinosaki Onsen Station. The wooden interior, which has a feel of traditional Japanese architecture while in a modern setting, gives the restaurant a calming atmosphere.
- Lunch 11:00~14:00 / Dinner 18:00~20:30 (L.O.)
- Closed every Wednesday unless it is a national holiday then we will be closed the next day (Thursday). Irregular Holidays.
- RiccaRicca is a modern, stylish restaurant offering Japanese seasonal cuisine including aged local vegetables, Tajima beef, and winter snow crab in Kinosaki Onsen, Japan. They do have a vegetarian menu.
One thing to note is that Ricca is strictly by reservation only. You can make a reservation by phone or online through their website.
- Lunch 11:30~14:30 / Dinner 18:00~22:00
- Wednesdays, for private parties, and when the hotel is closed.
- SanpoSanpou Nishimuraya Honten invites all Kinosaki Onsen visitors to experience the warm & open design of our unique Japanese-style dining restaurant and the fresh tastes of Tajima cuisine (Northern Hyogo Prefecture), which have been the cornerstone of Nishimuraya’s hospitality for over 150 years.
- Lunch (Sat & Sun only) 11:00~14:30 / Dinner 18:00~23:00
Visitors that need assistance in making reservations for a vegetarian meal or have any questions about vegetarian friendly places in Kinosaki, please feel free to contact a Visit Kinosaki team member for help.Email Us